We are seeking a number of Competition lawyers to join our market leading national Competition & Regulatory practice. These roles provide an excellent opportunity to work with industry leaders on high profile matters in a dynamic and supportive team environment.
Our Competition team holds a Band One ranking by Chambers Asia Pacific 2022. Our team specialises in all areas of competition law, including high profile mergers and joint ventures, contentious competition and consumer law investigations and litigation, ACCC market studies, access to essential infrastructure and industry regulation issues. We advise our clients on large scale commercial transactions and investigations and act for major Australian and international corporations across a wide range of industries.
About the team
In this role you will work closely with Partners in our national team including Wayne Leach, Luke Woodward, Peta Stevenson, Tamara Hunter, Caroline Coops, Lisa Huett and Simon Cooke who are recognised as leading competition lawyers in the Australian market, with high profile international clients and cutting-edge practices.
Teamwork is essential to us being able to provide exceptional service to our clients. For example, on large and complex international transactions, our role often involves collaborating with colleagues across our firm as well as foreign counsel from leading firms in the US, Europe and Asia. This makes for a fast paced, stimulating working environment and an opportunity for you to develop strong internal relationships.
You will have:
- experience in advising clients on a range of contentious and non-contentious competition and consumer law issues, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, cartels, commercial agreements, access to essential infrastructure, market conduct issues and regulatory investigations
- experience in dealing with the ACCC
- a strong team focus and a positive attitude
- previous experience in an Australian or overseas law firm - preferably a top tier firm - or a competition regulator
- an ability to identify and think through complex legal issues and to provide practical and effective solutions
You will have excellent written, analytical, communication and research skills to contribute to the delivery of prompt and commercially astute advice and a strong commitment to client service. You will also play a role in supporting and actively developing our relationships with clients by working on matters with them, as well as having an enthusiasm to be involved in business development activities by participating in industry related programs and developing strategic relationships and networks. You will enjoy working as part of a close, collaborative and committed team.
Who are we?
We are a top tier international law firm, from Asia, for the world.
A firm born in Asia, underpinned by world class capability. With over 2000 lawyers in 30 global locations, we draw from our Western and Eastern perspectives to deliver incisive counsel.
We are driven by a simple purpose – to use our mastery of the law for the lasting prosperity of our clients, people and communities.
Everything we do is grounded in a set of core principles which guide the way we operate as a leading international firm – how we enable our clients to succeed; how we develop our people to be their best and how we support our communities to thrive. Our Principles are:
Why work with us?
Behind every mandate we work on are our clients and our people. Understanding our client’s and our people’s ambitions and their lived experiences matters to us, so we can create a workplace where our people are proud to work and grow. We know our people value flexibility around when and where they work. We have made a commitment to offer a more adaptable way to work, we call this Agile Working.
Connecting with our people is also a priority. Whether it’s more targeted and meaningful conversations around professional and personal development, regular feedback, coaching or developing infrastructure, we want to help our people grow and see their ambitions realised.
What else we’ll offer
- Formal and informal flexible working patterns and leave arrangements
- Holistic wellbeing programs to support mental and physical health, including access to a broad range of mental health resources, gym memberships, flu vaccinations and skin cancer checks
- Mobility around our network when opportunities arise
- Access to a large range of learning and development opportunities
- A detailed framework to support working parents in balancing their personal and professional priorities
- Corporate discounts on health and general insurance, superannuation advice and other products and services
- Opportunities to participate in a wide range of pro-bono and community impact programs, and inclusion networks
How to apply
Please apply by selecting the "apply now" link below and completing an online application form.
For further information on this role, please contact Kellie McLean on Kellie.McLean@au.kwm.com
King & Wood Mallesons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to principles of diversity and inclusion. Applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are encouraged.
If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you must hold all visas and other approvals necessary for you to work for the firm in Australia.
Agencies - please note that we are not currently accepting applications from agencies for this role.
All job applications must be submitted through kwm.com, Seek, LinkedIn or an authorised agency, applications through any other third party websites will not be accepted.