- Optimise the delivery of legal services at a leading international law firm
- Apply your legal expertise within a dynamic and evolving strategic function
- Key role supporting and advising KWM Partners on delivery of significant matters
Fantastic opportunity for an energetic and process-improvement focused lawyer to step into the dynamic world of Legal Project Management at a top tier law firm!
Who are we?
We are King & Wood Mallesons. The top tier international law firm, from Asia, for the world.
A firm born in Asia, underpinned by world class capability. With over 2000 lawyers in 30 global locations, we draw from our Western and Eastern perspectives to deliver incisive counsel.
Our unique firm was born out of a big idea – that the world needs a firm like us. A firm that can bridge East and West and create a new standard of world-class legal services. A firm that attracts clients and talent with borderless ambitions. To become the leading top tier international law firm from Asia, for the world. Our clients need a top tier firm in the region who can match deep local understanding with a world-class platform. That's us. That's KWM.
We are driven by a simple purpose – to use our mastery of the law for the lasting prosperity of our clients, people and communities. It’s why we exist. It’s why we are KWM.
Everything we do is grounded in a set of core principles which guide the way we operate as a leading international firm – how we enable our clients to succeed; how we grow our people to be their best and how we support our communities to thrive.
About the role
If you’re a lawyer or legal-qualified and keen to apply your skills into a strategic function at a top tier law firm, this could be the perfect role for you! Great opportunity to step into the world of Legal Project Management (LPM) and combine your legal practising knowledge with your commercial acumen as well as your strong project and stakeholder management skills.
Spread across our offices nationally, our energetic LPM team are an enthusiastic team of “fixers” who play a crucial role in advising KWM’s legal teams on managing client matters effectively across a wide variety of practice areas. Our Legal Project Managers take the lead on the application of the project management principles of having the right work done at the right time by the right resources, in order to deliver a matter on time and on budget. This includes all aspects of the project lifecycle and covering scoping, scheduling, costing, resource workload and wellbeing management, communications, quality and risk.
Legal expertise and experience (preferably class action and large scale litigation) is crucial to understanding the scope and activities required on matters, to manage workload allocations according to team capacity and capability while also balancing wellbeing and fatigue risk. A key support for the partner(s) and senior legal staff on Extra Demand Matters (XDM) or significant matters, this Legal Project Manager will work closely with the team undertaking the work, the finance team and the relevant People & Development contact(s).
This role will be well-suited to legal practitioners who have strong business sense, excellent stakeholder management skills, like to think ahead and have a knack for identifying new ways of working with the ultimate goal of optimising the delivery of KWM’s legal services.
What experience are we looking for?
Qualifications and experience
- Legal qualifications, university degree in business or related field or equivalent work experience
- Legal experience - anticipated to be senior associate or equivalent level and above; in some instances a senior solicitor
- Experience in project management either as a practicing lawyer or as a project manager working in a law firm
- Formal Project Management certification (eg Prince2 or specific LPM qualifications) is highly desirable
- Lean Six Sigma Certification or equivalent process-oriented experience (desirable)
- Understanding of the financial drivers and commercial acumen in delivering to client expectations at a profit.
- Demonstrated experience creating and tracking work break down schedules, estimates and budget to manage and monitor delivery
- Technology and data literacy, in particular Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Project and Microsoft Planner, with the ability to rapidly pick-up new systems and software;
Skills and abilities
- Understanding of and experience in applying project management discipline to legal matters
- Experience of the whole project lifecycle and covering scoping, scheduling, costing, resourcing, communications, quality and risk
- Demonstrated ability to assess appropriate skill and experience to undertake legal work in a variety of matters, including allocating work to particular team members based on skill and experience, accessing resources such as ALT or internal support (e.g. paralegals) and able to identify with P&D when current resources need to be enhanced by external resources e.g. agency paralegals
- Excellent influencing, facilitation and collaboration skills in dealing with senior partners, lawyers and clients on LPM
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, including ability to use visual tools to convey complex content in a clear, concise and easily digestible format
- Flexibility and expert in use of independent judgment to select optimal LPM solution mix to suit individual project/matter needs
- Strong interpersonal skills - able to work with a range of people and ability to work in a team environment including the ability to work independently
- Ability to review systems and identify areas for improvement
- Flexible, "calm under pressure" style, with "can do approach", who brings a positive energy to projects, proactive approach to problem solving
- Proficiency in MS Office suite, Visio, and other project planning tools
- Must be able to learn, understand and apply new technologies
- Ability to effectively prioritise and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Ability to respond appropriately to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Innate desire to resolve problems or challenges in a commercially effective manner
Why work with us?
We want to be the law firm clients love to work with and a great place to work and grow for our people. It’s important to us and our clients that you our people find working at KWM an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
We know our people value flexibility around when and where they work. So we are committed to offering a more adaptable way to work, we call this Agile Working.
Growth conversations and real-time feedback is also a priority. So whether it’s more targeted and meaningful conversations around professional and personal development, regular feedback, coaching or developing infrastructure, we want to help our people grow.
What else we’ll offer
- Formal and informal flexible working patterns and leave arrangements
- Holistic wellbeing programs to support mental and physical health, including access to a broad range of mental health resources, gym memberships, flu vaccinations and skin cancer checks
- Mobility around our network when opportunities arise
- Access to a large range of learning and development opportunities
- A detailed framework to support working parents in balancing their personal and professional priorities
- Corporate discounts on health and general insurance, superannuation advice and other products and services
- Opportunities to participate in a wide range of pro-bono and community impact programs, and inclusion networks
How to apply
Please apply by selecting the "apply now" link below and completing an online application form.
All job applications must be submitted through kwm.com, Seek, LinkedIn or an authorised agency, applications through any other third-party websites will not be accepted.
For further information on this role, please contact Renee Wigan at email@example.com.
King & Wood Mallesons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to principles of diversity and inclusion. Applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are encouraged.
If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you must hold all visas and other approvals necessary for you to work for the firm in Australia.
Agencies - please note that we are not currently accepting applications from agencies for this role.