You will be responsible for varied challenging complex legal work which often sets the pace in the market. In this role you will perform primarily advisory and transactional work for a range of clients, primarily in the mining and petroleum sector, as well as government, infrastructure and telecommunications clients, across Australia.
Primary practice areas include regulatory and commercial matters for mining and petroleum proponents, including tenement acquisitions and divestments, mine and gas field development, regulatory and tenement compliance, farming and joint ventures, land access, and litigation matters in the mining and petroleum space. You will be assisting clients in day-to-day operational and regulatory matters as well as assisting in the negotiation and drafting of key commercial arrangements. . Opportunities will also be available to work on native title, Aboriginal cultural heritage, Aboriginal land, water and climate change matters where of interest to the successful candidate.
The team works with an enviable range of Australian and international clients including Origin Energy, BHP, AGL, APA, Pembroke Resources, Glencore, Westside Corporation, Exxaro Resources, Telstra, the Department of Defence, SunWater, Gladstone Port and North Queensland Bulk Ports.
About the team
Our team advise on all facets of resources projects to deliver cost effective solutions to clients, as well as acting for and advising clients on specific matters within larger energy, infrastructure and other projects. The team works closely with our other Australian and international offices to assist with the development, operation, acquisition and sale of large-scale energy, resources and infrastructure projects. It is very important to us how our team works together. We work hard and have fun while delivering cost effective solutions to clients.
You will have
- regulatory experience with any or all of Australian mining and petroleum regimes (including Queensland, New South Wales and the Northern Territory), and a keen interest to learn the various practice areas of the team;
- excellent analytical, communication and research skills - to contribute to the delivery of prompt and commercially astute advice;
- strong commitment to client service and well-developed relationship management ability - you will play a role in supporting and actively developing our relationships with clients;
- team focus - to facilitate effective teamwork by developing strong internal relationships;
- enthusiasm to be involved in business development activities - participating in industry related programs and developing strategic relationships and networks;
- first rate experience of drafting documents (including agreements, contracts, deeds, court documents etc).
About King & Wood Mallesons
As a leading international law firm headquartered in Asia and recognised as one of the world’s most innovative law firms, King & Wood Mallesons offers a different perspective to commercial thinking and the client experience. With access to a global platform, a team of over 2000 lawyers in 27 locations around the world, we work with clients to help them understand local challenges, navigate through regional complexity, and to find commercial solutions that deliver a competitive advantage for our clients.
Why work with us?
We want to be the law firm clients love to work with and a great place to work and grow for our people. It’s important to us and our clients that you our people find working at KWM an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
We know our people value flexibility around when and where they work. So we are committed to offering a more adaptable way to work, we call this Agile Working.
Growth conversations and real-time feedback is also a priority. So whether it’s more targeted and meaningful conversations around professional and personal development, regular feedback, coaching or developing infrastructure, we want to help our people grow.
- Market leading work for premium clients
- Formal and informal flexible working
- Support for working parents including emergency childcare
- Comprehensive wellbeing program including gym memberships, flu vaccinations, skin checks, discounts on health, general insurance and other products and services
- Swap pay for leave and Time in Lieu
- Mobility around our network when opportunities arise
- Commitment to gender pay equity
How to apply
Please apply by selecting the "apply now" link below and completing an online application form.
For further information on this role, please contact Britt Evans, Resourcing Consultant at email@example.com.
King & Wood Mallesons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to principles of diversity and inclusion. Applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are encouraged.
If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you must hold all visas and other approvals necessary for you to work for the firm in Australia.
Agencies - please note that we are not currently accepting applications from agencies for this role.
All job applications must be submitted through kwm.com, Seek, LinkedIn or an authorised agency, applications through any other third party websites will not be accepted.