About the role
The Office of General Counsel (OGC) aims to provide high quality, commercially realistic and practical legal advice to the firm and its associated entities. In this role you will be responsible for legal matters relating to the firm and its business including the review of contracts the firm enters into with third parties eg those relating to technology, procurement, leasing, subscriptions, events and sponsorships.
Your days will be busy, interesting and challenging and will see you:
- Attend to the review and negotiation of an extensive range of third party contracts and other documentation including amendments and renewals.
- Advise on key issues relating to contractual arrangements such as termination rights.
- Ensure the firm’s policies and processes are addressed in any proposed contract such as data security, brand protection and confidentiality.
- Monitor, report on and develop an approach to legal developments (eg pandemic considerations).
- Consider and address any governance requirements with the execution of contracts by the firm including delegations and ratifications.
- Consider and contribute to the team’s adoption of innovation tools in relation to the management of contracts.
- Coach, supervise and develop solicitors and other legal staff within the Office of General Counsel team; and
- Develop strong internal relationships with those internal teams requiring OGC support.
This role can be based in Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney.
What are we looking for?
- At least 8-10 years’ experience as a legal practitioner
- You will have recognised experience gained in a similar environment and enjoy working as part of a committed team
- Experience in being responsive and can thrive on the challenges of working in the in-house counsel team for a continually evolving law firm
- Exceptional attention to detail to deliver a high quality work product
- Ability to work independently and use your initiative to problem solve issues
- Excellent written, oral communication and proof reading skills
- Ability to work effectively with senior management team members
- First rate experience of drafting documents (including agreements, contracts, deeds, etc).
- Proven ability to supervise and mentor junior lawyers.
- Strong commitment to client service and well-developed relationship management ability
- Able to think holistically about legal issues and their practical impact for the firm.
- We want people who can help build a culture committed to achieving the best results through innovation, adapting to disruption, being different and contributing to our Great Place to Work.
As a leading international law firm headquartered in Asia and recognised as one of the world’s most innovative law firms, King & Wood Mallesons offers a different perspective to commercial thinking and the client experience. With access to a global platform, a team of over 2000 lawyers in 27 locations around the world, we work with clients to help them understand local challenges, navigate through regional complexity, and to find commercial solutions that deliver a competitive advantage for our clients.
Why work with us?
We want to be the law firm clients love to work with and a great place to work and grow for our people. It’s important to us and our clients that you find working at KWM an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
We know our people value flexibility around when and where they work. So we are committed to offering a more adaptable way to work, we call this Agile Working.
Growth conversations and real-time feedback is also a priority. So whether it’s more targeted and meaningful conversations around professional and personal development, regular feedback, coaching or developing infrastructure, we want to help our people grow.
- Market leading work for premium clients
- Formal and informal flexible work
- Support for working parents including emergency childcare
- Comprehensive wellbeing program including gym memberships, flu vaccinations, skin checks, discounts on health, general insurance and other products and services
- Swap pay for leave and a rest and recovery program
- Mobility around our network when opportunities arise
- Commitment to gender pay equity
How to apply
Please apply by selecting the "apply now" link below and completing an online application form.
For further information on this role, please contact Kellie McLean on Kellie.McLean@au.kwm.com
King & Wood Mallesons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to principles of diversity and inclusion. Applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are encouraged.
If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you must hold all visas and other approvals necessary for you to work for the firm in Australia.
Agencies - please note that we are not currently accepting applications from agencies for this role.
All job applications must be submitted through kwm.com or LinkedIn or an authorised agency, applications through any other third party websites will not be accepted.