We are seeking a solicitor (5 years pqe up to Junior SA) with experience in environment and planning matters to join our busy and growing Sydney team.
You will be involved with challenging and complex legal work which often sets the pace in the market. In this role, you will be assisting Michael Causer, a Partner in our Environment and Planning team who provides specialist advice on the full range of environment, planning and native title issues – particularly in relation to real estate and infrastructure projects. Michael acts for land owners in compulsory acquisition appeals against state government heavy weights on major, nation-building infrastructure projects. He has experience in environmental and project approvals, land access and compensation, native title, planning and local government, threatened species, heritage, contaminated land, pollution law, hazardous substances and dangerous goods.
This role will see you work across a full range of environment and planning matters including disputes, judicial review proceedings, regulator enforcement matters and the provision of major project planning and environmental advice. You will be challenged and stimulated and work autonomously to achieve positive outcomes for our clients. You will provide guidance and mentor junior members of our close knit team.
The team works with an enviable range of national and international blue chip clients including mining companies, property developers, statutory authorities, and State and Local Government.
About the team
Our team advise on all facets of environment and planning matters including the management and resolution of disputes to deliver cost effective solutions to clients. Collaboration, innovation and teamwork are highly valued attributes. We work hard and have fun while delivering cost effective solutions to clients.
You will have
- experience acting for clients on compulsory acquisition matters and environmental disputes is essential
- recognised environment and planning experience within the real estate and infrastructure sectors
- excellent analytical, communication and research skills - to deliver prompt and commercially astute advice
- strong commitment to client service and well-developed relationship management ability - you will play a key role in supporting and actively developing our relationships with our clients
- team focus - to mentor junior colleagues and ensure the effective utilisation of the group
- enthusiasm to be involved in business development activities - presenting at industry related programs and managing strategic relationships and network
- first rate experience of drafting documents (including agreements, contracts, deeds, court documents etc.
As a leading international law firm headquartered in Asia and recognised as one of the world’s most innovative law firms, King & Wood Mallesons offers a different perspective to commercial thinking and the client experience. With access to a global platform, a team of almost 3000 lawyers in 28 locations around the world, works with clients to help them understand local challenges, navigate through regional complexity, and to find commercial solutions that deliver a competitive advantage for our clients.
Why work with us?
We want to be the law firm clients love to work with and a great place to work and grow for our people. It’s important to us and our clients that you our people find working at KWM an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
We know our people value flexibility around when and where they work. So we are committed to offering a more adaptable way to work, we call this Agile Working.
Growth conversations and real-time feedback is also a priority. So whether it’s more targeted and meaningful conversations around professional and personal development, regular feedback, coaching or developing infrastructure, we want to help our people grow.
What else we’ll offer
- Formal and informal flexible working patterns and leave arrangements
- Holistic wellbeing programs to support mental and physical health, including access to a broad range of mental health resources, gym memberships, flu vaccinations and skin cancer checks
- Mobility around our network when opportunities arise
- Access to a large range of learning and development opportunities
- A detailed framework to support working parents in balancing their personal and professional priorities
- Corporate discounts on health and general insurance, superannuation advice and other products and services
- Opportunities to participate in a wide range of pro-bono and community impact programs, and inclusion networks
How to apply
Please apply by selecting the "apply now" link below and completing an online application form.
For further information on this role, please contact Kellie McLean on Kellie.McLean@au.kwm.com
King & Wood Mallesons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to principles of diversity and inclusion. Applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are encouraged.
If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you must hold all visas and other approvals necessary for you to work for the firm in Australia.
Agencies - please note that we are not currently accepting applications from agencies for this role.
All job applications must be submitted through kwm.com, Seek, LinkedIn or an authorised agency, applications through any other third party websites will not be accepted.