We are looking for a Solicitor with a strong interest in Trade Marks to join our leading Dispute Resolution team working with Bill Ladas.
You will be responsible for varied and challenging, complex legal work which often sets the pace in the market. In this role you will advise and act in matters encompassing all aspects of Australian trade mark law and portfolio management for leading brands including:
- devising search and filing strategies and drafting clearance advices
- settling trade mark specifications and filings for Australia and New Zealand and foreign jurisdictions
- trade mark prosecution before IP Australia and IPONZ
- disputes, including filing or defending oppositions and non-use actions, and drafting or responding to letters of demand
- appeals from first instance decisions of IP Australia
- drafting and negotiating related agreements including licences, assignments and coexistence agreements
- the IP aspects of due diligence reports
The team works with an enviable range of clients. Our clients include household names in the fashion, entertainment, telecommunications, utilities, financial services, pharmaceutical, fast moving consumer goods and software markets.
About the team
KWM's IP practice is ranked gold in the WTR's leading trademark professionals rankings. We undertake work on matters at the cutting edge and help to shape the development of the law. Working closely together is vital to the success of our team and the firm. We regularly work with specialists from other practice groups and use sophisticated electronic tools to assist us. Our workload is varied and interesting, with a focus on advisory and IPA-facing work.
You will have
- strong legal technical experience (at least 3 years in local or overseas trade mark prosecution) or trade mark attorney experience and working knowledge of practice before the Trade Marks Office. More specifically, your experience will include due diligence, and contentious experience (eg. oppositions)
- passion for the subject matter - it’s your career choice demonstrated through your study or proposed study in the trade mark subjects of an LLM
- ability to provide practical and cost-effective prosecution and opposition advice
- excellent analytical, communication and research skills - to contribute to the delivery of prompt and commercially astute advice
- strong commitment to client service and well-developed relationship management ability - you will play a key role in actively developing and driving our relationships with our clients
- team focus - to facilitate effective teamwork by developing strong internal relationships
- enthusiasm to be involved in business development activities - participating in industry related programs and developing strategic relationships and networks; you will be actively looking for opportunities to grow the practice
- strong project management skills, proactivity and the ability to prioritise your tasks and effectively manage your time
As a leading international law firm headquartered in Asia and recognised as one of the world’s most innovative law firms, King & Wood Mallesons offers a different perspective to commercial thinking and the client experience. With access to a global platform, a team of over 2000 lawyers in 27 locations around the world, we work with clients to help them understand local challenges, navigate through regional complexity, and to find commercial solutions that deliver a competitive advantage for our clients.
Why work with us?
We want to be the law firm clients love to work with and a great place to work and grow for our people. It’s important to us and our clients that you our people find working at KWM an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
We know our people value flexibility around when and where they work. So we are committed to offering a more adaptable way to work, we call this Agile Working.
Growth conversations and real-time feedback is also a priority. So whether it’s more targeted and meaningful conversations around professional and personal development, regular feedback, coaching or developing infrastructure, we want to help our people grow.
- Market leading work for premium clients
- Formal and informal flexible working
- Support for working parents including emergency childcare
- Comprehensive wellbeing program including gym memberships, flu vaccinations, skin checks, discounts on health, general insurance and other products and services
- Swap pay for leave and Time in Lieu
- Mobility around our network when opportunities arise
- Commitment to gender pay equity
How to apply
Please apply by selecting the "apply now" link below and completing an online application form.
For further information on this role, please contact Britt Evans, Resourcing Consultant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
King & Wood Mallesons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to principles of diversity and inclusion. Applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are encouraged.
If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you must hold all visas and other approvals necessary for you to work for the firm in Australia.
Agencies - please note that we are not currently accepting applications from agencies for this role.
All job applications must be submitted through kwm.com, Seek, LinkedIn or an authorised agency, applications through any other third party websites will not be accepted.