We are seeking a senior solicitor up to SA level to assist on the Defence and Veteran Suicide Royal Commission. This opportunity is for a 12 month contract period.
About the team
Our Disputes team is known for the breadth and depth of its experience and this role will see you work with Partners who are known industry wide for their expertise. Working closely together is vital to the success of our friendly team, our work is varied, interesting and often high profile. We act in most of Australia's largest and complex corporate and commercial disputes, regulatory investigations and public inquiries.
About the role:
We are seeking a senior solicitor up to SA level to join our busy disputes team. This role will offer a unique opportunity to work exclusively on the Royal Commission into Defence and Veteran Suicide. Your role will be broad and interesting and will include, but is not limited to:
- Conducting reviews of confidential files
- Preparation of summaries
- Analysis and reporting
- Second tier review of work
- Escalation of files/issues to Partners
- Liaising with stakeholders on an array of administrative matters
- Participating in witness interviews
- Assisting with Hearing preparation including compiling of tender bundles
- General legal support to Counsel assisting the Commission
You will have:
- Previous experience as a solicitor with litigation experience preferred, but not essential
- First rate written and oral communication skills
- Excellent drafting skills including experience of drafting court documents and evidence
- Strong organisational skills, time management skills and the ability to work methodically and with accuracy
- A commitment to working in a sensitive subject matter with compassion and respect
- An interest to contribute to an important social issue
- A desire to work in a professional and friendly team
- A commitment to achieving the best results for clients
- Government Security Clearance will be required for all solicitors working on this Commission
The Commission will provide counselling however previous trauma training/experience is desirable.
As a leading international law firm headquartered in Asia and recognised as one of the world’s most innovative law firms, King & Wood Mallesons offers a different perspective to commercial thinking and the client experience. With access to a global platform, a team of almost 3000 lawyers in 28 locations around the world, works with clients to help them understand local challenges, navigate through regional complexity, and to find commercial solutions that deliver a competitive advantage for our clients.
Why work with us?
We want to be the law firm clients love to work with and a great place to work and grow for our people. It’s important to us and our clients that you our people find working at KWM an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
We know our people value flexibility around when and where they work. So we are committed to offering a more adaptable way to work, we call this Agile Working.
Growth conversations and real-time feedback is also a priority. So whether it’s more targeted and meaningful conversations around professional and personal development, regular feedback, coaching or developing infrastructure, we want to help our people grow.
What else we’ll offer
- Formal and informal flexible working patterns and leave arrangements
- Holistic wellbeing programs to support mental and physical health, including access to a broad range of mental health resources, gym memberships, flu vaccinations and skin cancer checks
- Mobility around our network when opportunities arise
- Access to a large range of learning and development opportunities
- A detailed framework to support working parents in balancing their personal and professional priorities
- Corporate discounts on health and general insurance, superannuation advice and other products and services
- Opportunities to participate in a wide range of pro-bono and community impact programs, and inclusion networks
How to apply
Please apply by selecting the "apply now" link below and completing an online application form.
For further information on this role, please contact Kellie McLean on Kellie.McLean@au.kwm.com
King & Wood Mallesons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to principles of diversity and inclusion. Applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are encouraged.
If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you must hold all visas and other approvals necessary for you to work for the firm in Australia.
Agencies - please note that we are not currently accepting applications from agencies for this role.
All job applications must be submitted through kwm.com, Seek, LinkedIn or an authorised agency, applications through any other third party websites will not be accepted.