About the role
This is a rare opportunity in Melbourne to join our market leading Corporate M&A team. You will be responsible for varied and challenging complex legal work with a mix of M&A (both public and private), ECM and corporate advisory work, which often sets the pace in the market. You will also work closely with the Corporate M&A practices in our other Australian centres and international network, getting access to some of the most high-profile M&A deals (and leading practitioners) in the region.
We attribute our success in the marketplace to the outstanding talent of our people. Our team takes pride in giving clients pragmatic, commercially focused advice. Teamwork is important - we work closely as a team and with other practice groups and centres. It is a great place to learn and be challenged. You will have great mentoring from hands-on partners and other senior lawyers and work in a friendly, supportive environment. In addition, you will have access to a range of career development opportunities.
You will have the opportunity to work on some of Australia and Asia's most complex transactions and act for the region's largest and most significant public companies and major financial institutions. We have a strong corporate client base in the financial services, energy & resources, infrastructure, agribusiness, retail and gaming sectors.
We give clients strategic advice, including in relation to:
- public company acquisitions including takeovers and schemes;
- private M&A and private equity;
- major corporate reconstructions including demergers;
- joint ventures – incorporated, unincorporated and synthetic;
- initial public offerings for both companies and funds;
- secondary equity and debt capital raisings, including hybrids; and
- corporate governance and provide general corporate head office advisory support (eg directors duties, securities law, continuous disclosure, executive remuneration, AGMs and approvals).
As a member of the Corporate M&A team you will have demonstrated experience in working on and executing transactions, playing a key role in interfacing with clients and managing key workstreams. We take a partnering approach with our key clients and you will be expected to take an active role working with members of the team to ensure efficient and effective client delivery.
The ideal candidate will have experience in both public and private M&A, equity capital markets and general corporate advisory experience, with a particular emphasis on corporate law, listing rule compliance and governance.
You will also have:
- excellent analytical, communication and technical legal skills - to deliver prompt and commercially astute advice;
- a strong commitment to client service and an interest in developing client relationships;
- commercial curiosity, and a drive to keep up to date with sector issues and developments to enhance personal performance and client delivery;
- a willingness to develop strong relationships with team members to facilitate effective team work;
- enthusiasm to keep abreast of practice group issues and contribute to the development of the group;
- enthusiasm to be involved in business development activities and to participate in internal / external development programs to facilitate personal development; and
- first rate experience of drafting documents (including transaction documents, public disclosure documents, advices, etc).
As a leading international law firm headquartered in Asia and recognised as one of the world’s most innovative law firms, King & Wood Mallesons offers a different perspective to commercial thinking and the client experience. With access to a global platform, a team of over 2000 lawyers in 27 locations around the world, we work with clients to help them understand local challenges, navigate through regional complexity, and to find commercial solutions that deliver a competitive advantage for our
Why work with us?
We want to be the law firm clients love to work with and a great place to work and grow for our people. It’s important to us and our clients that you our people find working at KWM an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
We know our people value flexibility around when and where they work, we are committed to offering a more adaptable way to work, we call this Agile Working.
Growth conversations and real-time feedback is also a priority. So whether it’s more targeted and meaningful conversations around professional and personal development, regular feedback, coaching or developing infrastructure, we want to help our people grow.
- Market leading work for premium clients
- Formal and informal flexible working
- Support for working parents including emergency childcare
- Comprehensive wellbeing program including gym memberships, flu vaccinations, skin checks, discounts on health, general insurance and other products and services
- Swap pay for leave and Time in Lieu
- Mobility around our network when opportunities arise
- Commitment to gender pay equity
How to apply
Please apply by selecting the "apply now" link below and completing an online application form.
For further information on this role, please contact Britt Evans, Resourcing Consultant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
King & Wood Mallesons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to principles of diversity and inclusion. Applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are encouraged.
If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you must hold all visas and other approvals necessary for you to work for the firm in Australia.
Agencies - please note that we are not currently accepting applications from agencies for this role.
All job applications must be submitted through kwm.com, Seek, LinkedIn or an authorised agency, applications through any other third party websites will not be accepted.